Kate Kinsella, August 2017
Email Mindy.Dummer@jordandistrict.org for materials
Self-Directed Professional Development
Fisher and Frey: Great Resources from Nationally-Respected Researchers!
Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey are leaders in literacy education. Fisher presents regularly as part of conferences like the Utah Council of International Reading Association and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Several slide presentations are found on the site he co-manages with his associate Nancy Frey.
Fisher You Tube Videos: Close Reading and More
Note: There are additional slide shows on the F&F resource page that represent presentations at various states and cities throughout the U.S. While many of the slides are similar, there is also additional additional information that does not appear in all presentations. They are worth perusing!
Six Instructional Strategies for Tomorrow This contains great information on how to write effective objectives, as well as John Samara's famous list of student products to show learning.
Teaching Channel: "Great Teaching, Inspiring Classrooms"
"Teaching Channel is a video showcase—on the Internet and TV—of inspiring and effective teaching practices in America's schools. [They] have a rapidly growing community of registered members who trade ideas and share inspiration from each other." From http://nysculturaled.org/
See also our Curriculum Resources link.
Open Educational Resources
- Uncommon Approaches to the Common Core - Cultural Ed's list of open resources for educators
- Utah Education Network: Utah Curriculum Resources - Be selective; not all reflect standards as well as others.
- Achieve the Core: A bank of standards-based plans created by teachers to use with popular stories found in many anthologies.
- Grade 7: Includes "Amigo Brothers", "Barrio Boy", "The Noble Experiment", "Rikki-Tikki Tavi", and more.
- Grade 8: Includes "Checkouts", "Flowers for Algernon", "O Captain, My Captain", "The Landlady", and more.
- Grade 9: Includes "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Road Ahead", "The Scarlet Ibis", "Thank You, Ma'm", and more.
- Grade 10: Includes "Harrison Bergeron", "On Summer", "Lamb to the Slaughter", "There Will Come Soft Rains" and more.
- Grade 11: Includes "I Am An American Day", Annie Dillard, Ezra Pound, Abraham Lincoln, and more.
- Grade 12: Includes The Federalist Papers, Andrew Carnegie, Supreme Court Cases, and more.
- Learnzillion: Free membership and access to many free materials. All lessons are professionally prepared and vetted by master teachers throughout the country.
The Curriculum Project A great resource from John Samara (Some products are available for purchase).
More information on teaching content literacy - This website has numerous how-to videos and other resources you can explore quickly